The Bata company opened its first store in the country in 1932. In the early 1960s a new factory was established, but the business activities of the Bata organization were suspended soon after in the country due to the government’s nationalization process.
- In 1932 the Bata company opened its first shops in the erstwhile Tanganyika – Dar es Salaam, Tanga, Moshi, Arusha; the first record of a store run by the company in Zanzibar dates back to 1938.
- In 1939 the company operated a network of 12 shops.
- Around 1960, the Bata organization opened a new shoemaking factory in the country.
- In 1965, the government of Tanzania took 60% of the shares of the local company run by the Bata organization, whose business activities were suspended there afterwards (nationalization in 1968).
- Tomáš J. Baťa, Shoemaker to the World, Prague 1991
- Thomas J. Bata, Remembered, Zlín 2016, ISBN 978-80-7473-398-7
- Moravian Provincial Archives in Brno – State District Archive in Zlín, Czech Republic